How do I get a mace with 4 sockets?
Bjørn Valstrøm
2007-06-09 03:50:42 UTC
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite a lot of axes
with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.

Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
ArtDent
2007-06-09 06:05:43 UTC
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite
a lot of axes with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
From what I understand, a lot of / most people make HotO's in Flail's.
Try early NM?
--
I am not a complete idiot.
Parts are missing.
noneofyourbusiness
2007-06-11 01:16:51 UTC
Post by ArtDent
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite
a lot of axes with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
From what I understand, a lot of / most people make HotO's in Flail's.
Try early NM?
This is really messed up...for this rune word, only a specific
sub-class of maces work, and of the 3 *allowed* sub classes, only the
flail class can get 4 sockets :/

John
2007-06-11 01:35:42 UTC
Post by noneofyourbusiness
Post by ArtDent
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite
a lot of axes with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
From what I understand, a lot of / most people make HotO's in Flail's.
Try early NM?
This is really messed up...for this rune word, only a specific
sub-class of maces work, and of the 3 *allowed* sub classes, only the
flail class can get 4 sockets :/
You can use a Battle Hammer w/ 35 to 58 damage as they come in one to
four socket flavors. You'll need 100 strength and they are a lot
slower. Sorry if this was asked already but I dont have the whole
thread here. Are you planning to use it as a melee weapon or are you a
caster?
Shiflet
2007-06-11 04:20:32 UTC
Post by John
You can use a Battle Hammer w/ 35 to 58 damage as they come in one to
four socket flavors.

Except hammers aren't counted as maces, they're counted as hammers. HotO
must be made in a MACE class weapon, and as stated on Arreat Summit, "Maces
= Mace, Morning Star, Flail, and Exceptional/Elite versions." So no, a
Battle Hammer cannot be used.
It's for Heart of the Oak, nobody melees with that.
Gumby
2007-06-11 12:39:32 UTC
Post by Shiflet
Except hammers aren't counted as maces, they're counted as hammers.
...so the fact that the weapons (hammers/mauls, not to mention scepters)
themselves specifically say they're in the Mace Class should be
completely ignored. :)
--
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They
never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people, and neither do we." - George W. Bush [August 5th, 2004]
noneofyourbusiness
2007-06-11 13:21:16 UTC
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:39:32 GMT, Gumby
Post by Gumby
Post by Shiflet
Except hammers aren't counted as maces, they're counted as hammers.
...so the fact that the weapons (hammers/mauls, not to mention scepters)
themselves specifically say they're in the Mace Class should be
completely ignored. :)
Hence me saying it was messed up ;-)
Yes, hammers are mace class, but not for the purpose of this rune
word.

Shiflet
2007-06-11 21:09:07 UTC
Post by Gumby
...so the fact that the weapons (hammers/mauls, not to mention scepters)
themselves specifically say they're in the Mace Class should be completely
ignored. :)
Yes, "maces" only include the normal, exceptional, and elite versions of 3
weapons. Likewise, "hammers" do not include any of those 3 weapons. And
John
2007-06-12 02:22:20 UTC
Post by John
Are you planning to use it as a melee weapon or are you a caster?
It's for Heart of the Oak, nobody melees with that.
I was basing my response upon the info on
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/exceptional/maces.shtml
which I read as maces and mauls. I was not aware that their was a third
class (hammers) in there. My OOPS if I read that wrong as I'm not a big
user of mace, hammer, or maul type weapons.
wizofwas
2007-06-12 14:38:52 UTC
Post by John
Post by John
Are you planning to use it as a melee weapon or are you a caster?
It's for Heart of the Oak, nobody melees with that.
I was basing my response upon the info on
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/exceptional/maces.shtml
which I read as maces and mauls. I was not aware that their was a third
class (hammers) in there. My OOPS if I read that wrong as I'm not a big
user of mace, hammer, or maul type weapons.
What you are reading is right, BUT when you read what you can put
HotO on, in the rune word section, you will find that it only works
on flails.

wizofwas
Shiflet
2007-06-09 07:55:33 UTC
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite a lot of axes
with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
IIRC, the only "mace" that can get 4 sockets is a flail/knout/scourge.
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I play ladder, Europe.
Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
wizofwas
2007-06-09 09:39:05 UTC
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite a lot of axes
with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
The only maces that can get 4 sockets is the flail, knout or scourge.
You can either find one or use the cube to put sockets in one.

wizofwas
Nomersu
2007-06-09 20:23:39 UTC
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite a lot of axes
with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
If you cannot find a 4 socketed flail, you need to find a flail
without any sockets most preferably on Hell level. Use then a socket
guest in act 5 to get the sockets. That guy (whose name I completely
forgot) will always give the maximum sockets according to the item's
level. Do not use any flail, use only one found in Hell level, only
then you can be sure to get 4 sockets. Someone else could know from
which point on you will find flails that have high enough item level.

I would not waste my runes for cube recipe because that gives you
random number of sockets.
Ashen Shugar
2007-06-09 20:37:59 UTC
I think it was Nomersu <***@gmail.com> that wrote something
like...
Post by Nomersu
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite a lot of axes
with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
If you cannot find a 4 socketed flail, you need to find a flail
without any sockets most preferably on Hell level. Use then a socket
guest in act 5 to get the sockets. That guy (whose name I completely
forgot) will always give the maximum sockets according to the item's
level. Do not use any flail, use only one found in Hell level, only
then you can be sure to get 4 sockets. Someone else could know from
which point on you will find flails that have high enough item level.
I would not waste my runes for cube recipe because that gives you
random number of sockets.
I think you'd find that the socket quest on a flail will give 5
sockets, not 4. It's been a while, but the Arreat summit says flails
can have up to 5 sockets.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
wizofwas
2007-06-09 23:13:46 UTC
Post by Ashen Shugar
like...
Post by Nomersu
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
[...]
Right, the socket quest will always give the max No. of sockets and
the flails can have 5. So if you can't find a flail with 4 sockets then
using the cube is the only way to get one with 4.

wizofwas
Bjørn Valstrøm
2007-06-10 02:21:59 UTC
Thank you very much!
I didn't know that you'll get the maximum number of sockets from the socket quest.
I'll try your advice presently.

Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
random number of sockets.
Shiflet
2007-06-10 08:28:39 UTC
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
Thank you very much!
I didn't know that you'll get the maximum number of sockets from the socket quest.
I'll try your advice presently.
Whatever you do, do NOT take his advice if you want a 4 socket flail! The
maximum number of sockets on a flail is FIVE, not four.
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
Bjørn Valstrøm
2007-06-11 07:05:59 UTC
I've now tried the socket quest on a level 25 flail

I only got two sockets on the fail (Loading Image...)

Do you find this result in accordance with the theory that you'll get maximum sockets from
the socket quest?

The number is a little low! Don't you think?

Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
random number of sockets.
Ashen Shugar
2007-06-11 07:25:15 UTC
I think it was Bj0rn Valstr0m <***@jubiimail.dk> that wrote
something like...
(http://www.fearless.dk/Diablo/Before.JPG)
I only got two sockets on the fail (http://www.fearless.dk/Diablo/After.JPG)
Do you find this result in accordance with the theory that you'll get maximum sockets from
the socket quest?
The number is a little low! Don't you think?
Yours
Bj0rn Valstr0m
Uhm, you know you can't make runewords in magic items? Magic items
are ones that have a blue name. Magic Items will also only get 1 or 2
sockets from the socket quest. Usually just one I found, so getting 2
was good, but not what you were after. You need to find a white mace,
one that doesn't have anything extra written about it (though a
superior one will be okay) and use the horadric cube recipe on it to
punch some holes in it and hope you get four.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
wizofwas

wizofwas
~misfit~
2007-06-12 00:37:36 UTC
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
wrote something like...
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
Do you find this result in accordance with the theory that you'll
get maximum sockets from the socket quest?
The number is a little low! Don't you think?
Yours
Bj0rn Valstr0m
Uhm, you know you can't make runewords in magic items? Magic items
are ones that have a blue name. Magic Items will also only get 1
or 2 sockets from the socket quest. Usually just one I found, so
getting 2 was good, but not what you were after. You need to find
a white mace, one that doesn't have anything extra written about it
(though a superior one will be okay) and use the horadric cube
recipe on it to punch some holes in it and hope you get four.
Yeah, what he said.
Except the superior bit, that won't work in the cube, only with Larzuk, and
he'll give max sockets.

" The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and
unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work."

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml
Shaun.
Nomersu
2007-06-11 13:54:09 UTC
Post by Nomersu
If you cannot find a 4 socketed flail, you need to find a flail
without any sockets most preferably on Hell level. Use then a socket
guest in act 5 to get the sockets. That guy (whose name I completely
forgot) will always give the maximum sockets according to the item's
level. Do not use any flail, use only one found in Hell level, only
then you can be sure to get 4 sockets. Someone else could know from
which point on you will find flails that have high enough item level.
As others have noted, the above information I mentioned IS NOT
correct. I remembered this wrong. I used this method when hunting for
4 socket Broad Swords for Spirit runeword. For Broad Sword this works.
If you used your socketing quest I promise to give you my next 4
socket flail I find, I do not have the needed runes so usually I just
let those flails behind. And yes, I am on Europe Ladder also. /w
*nomersu to message me :-) Sorry for trouble.
Bjørn Valstrøm
2007-06-12 04:39:57 UTC
No trouble at all !
You get a lot of socket quests when you rush mules for runes at the hell forge. :-)
It's just interesting. One can still learn new things about Diablo - even though I've
played the game ever since it first came out so many years ago.

Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
JR
2007-06-12 14:38:18 UTC
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
I have the runes for a 'Heart of the Oak'. But I do find it hard to find the needed mace.
I have done a lot of Cow levels with a no MF character. I've found quite a lot of axes
with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
Can a Scourge be used for 'Heart of the Oak'? It appears to be an
exceptional version of a flail.

JR
MD-R Ar28senal v2.0b
2007-06-12 15:58:38 UTC
Post by JR
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
lot of axes
with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
Can a Scourge be used for 'Heart of the Oak'? It appears to be an
exceptional version of a flail.
JR
Yes, it can.

But since hoto is a caster weapon and doesn't improve damage (unless you
consider "+75% Damage To Demons / +100 To Attack Rating Against Demons" as
one ^_^) , no one will make it into an exceptional / elite weapon which
greatly increase str/dex/level requirements)

- Matthew.
JR
2007-06-13 01:27:00 UTC
Post by MD-R Ar28senal v2.0b
Post by JR
Post by Bjørn Valstrøm
lot of axes
with 4 sockets, but no maces, alas.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
I play ladder, Europe.
Yours
Bjørn Valstrøm
Can a Scourge be used for 'Heart of the Oak'? It appears to be an
exceptional version of a flail.
JR
Yes, it can.
But since hoto is a caster weapon and doesn't improve damage (unless you
consider "+75% Damage To Demons / +100 To Attack Rating Against Demons" as
one ^_^) , no one will make it into an exceptional / elite weapon which
greatly increase str/dex/level requirements)
- Matthew.
So no one will want the 4 socket Scourge I found yesterday? I still have
it, but it sounds like it isn't worth holding on to. I'll keep it a while
anyway - if anyone wants it - it's free.
JR